Technical Writer/ Editor
We are currently seeking a dynamic Technical Writer/ Editor to join our team. The Technical Writer/Editor will support data analytic and data management activities related to various PHC GROUP initiatives, outcome studies, program evaluations and research projects. The Technical Writer/Editor will have primary responsibility for the design, creation, editing and updating of product documentation for PHC GROUP products. In addition the incumbent will create and edit product tutorials and technical contributions for PHC GROUP’s ongoing marketing efforts.
The technical communications specialist also needs to be capable of documenting complex business processes. Ideally, the incumbent would be able to work from interviews with members of the research and development teams to develop descriptions of the business processes, interpret complex reports, and describe conceptually how products are used to improve those processes.
- Work with internal team members to obtain an in-depth understanding of the product and the documentation requirements
- Acquire knowledge of project assignment through study of documentation, observation of the products or services, reference to previously documented products or systems of similar design, and interview with cognizant staff
- Produce high-quality documentation that meets applicable standards and is appropriate for its intended audience
- Analyze existing and potential content, focusing on reuse and single-sourcing opportunities
- Write easy-to-understand user interface text, online products and developer guides
- Participate in the validation, checking, and critiquing of documents produced by other writers to ensure consistency, technical accuracy and completeness, and clarity
- Monitor and update assigned documentation as changes in designs, operating environments, and applicability occur
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Journalism, Professional writing, Communications or equivalent
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience with technical writing, technical communication, or documentation creation/management. Consulting work for a wide variety of clients a plus
- Excellent interviewing and research skills, particularly the ability to extract information from subject matter experts
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and pictures
- Experience producing a wide variety of documentation outputs, including training materials, online help, PDF or print manuals, white papers, reference guides, etc.
- Ideally, some familiarity with market risk management systems, software-as-a-service or actuarial software
- Excellent written skills in English
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of MS Word’s equation editor and LaTex helpful
- Familiarity with online-help authoring systems, such as Robohelp, Eclipse help, DocToHelp, or Madcap Flare
- Familiarity with content management systems
- Ability to create simple graphics (screenshots with callouts, flowcharts, diagrams in programs like Visio, Photoshop, or Paint Shop Pro
- Knowledge of agile development methodologies helpful
- Create tutorials to help end-users learn the application
This position may be granted funded. If funded by grant, continuation is based upon available funds.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable PHC GROUP. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law. Clearance: Selected Applicants will undergo a security / background investigation and may need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information; US Citizenship is required.
Travel: Minimal, Less than 5%
Salary is commensurate with experience
Please send an e-mail including resume and cover letter, indicating salary requirements, to: firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Technical Writer/Editor” and your name in the subject line.
PHC GROUP, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates to apply.