Senior Technical Writer/Editor
PHC GROUP is seeking a dynamic Senior Technical Writer/ Editor to join our team. The Senior Technical Writer/ Editor will support data analytic and data management activities related to various PHC GROUP initiatives, outcome studies, program evaluations and research projects. The Senior Technical Writer/Editor will have primary responsibility for the design, creation, editing and updating of product documentation for PHC GROUP products. In addition the incumbent will create and edit product tutorials and technical contributions for PHC GROUP’s ongoing marketing efforts.
The incumbent will research, plan, organize, write, review, and publish technical product literature working closely with Project and Program Management, Design Assurance, Quality, Training, and Marketing departments.
Technical product literature includes user’s guides, installation guides, service manuals, training materials, online help, marketing products and client services. The customers and clients for this technical literature include physicians, nurses, hospital technicians, policy makers, marketing, and technical support personnel.
The Senior Technical Writer/Editor will manage translations of technical product literature and work with team leaders regarding product and/or services. The incumbent will develop translation glossaries and translation reference materials to aid the translation process.
We believe a strong team is our greatest asset. PHC GROUP fosters an environment that attracts and retains employees who are proactive, responsive and innovative through commitment to teamwork, communication, feedback and change.
- Acquire knowledge of project assignment through study of documentation, observation of the products or services, reference to previously documented products or systems of similar design, and interview with cognizant staff
- Write in clear, concise language preliminary drafts of project assignments, according to department standards of style and quality. May involve revision or modification of similar or previously documented products or systems. All facets of the particular document type are covered with attention to clarity, technical accuracy, and completeness.
- Plan with and work with graphic artists/photographers to produce necessary artwork such as illustrations and photos
- Prepare the review draft for submittal to reviewing authorities
- Examine the returned review drafts, make technically and stylistically appropriate corrections or modifications and submit the documents for final review and production
- Ensure that the completed documentation reflects established company and department standards for format, style, quality, clarity, safety, and technical accuracy
- Aid in the maintenance of the internal systems and procedures established to insure consistency of format, style, quality, clarity, safety, and technical accuracy
- Maintain a technical, organizational, and writing competency which ensures successful execution of these areas of accountability. Develops additional technical, organizational, and writing skills to help develop a higher level of competency in order to advance within department career paths.
- Participate in the validation, checking, and critiquing of documents produced by other writers to ensure consistency, technical accuracy and completeness, and clarity
- Monitor and update assigned documentation as changes in designs, operating environments, and applicability occur
- Evaluate the needs, determines the scope and depth, and plans the writing and production of documents for special projects where she/he has been assigned as team leader
- Control and manage all related labor and material resources to provide project completion within quality and cost standards
- Assign work activities to other assigned team personnel and ensures effective application of team resources to enable synergistic and timely completion of projects
- Participate on product development team(s) and provide feedback about usability of product design and/or processes
- BS or BA degree in English, Journalism, or Technical Communications
- Previous technical writing experience (7 years minimum)
- Previous technical writing experience in the health care industry
- Experience working with complex marketing and software systems
- Advanced computer skills and familiarity with desktop electronic publishing tools within the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, Bridge, etc.)
- Individual is acknowledged as a SME within the occupation and/or specific skill
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects on short deadlines
- Exceptional APA and MLA style writing
- Ideally, some familiarity with market risk management systems, software-as-a-service or actuarial software
- Excellent written skills in English
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of MS Word’s equation editor and LaTex helpful
- Familiarity with online-help authoring systems, such as Robohelp, Eclipse help, DocToHelp, or Madcap Flare
- Familiarity with content management systems
- Ability to create simple graphics (screenshots with callouts, flowcharts, diagrams in programs like Visio, Photoshop, or Paint Shop Pro
- Knowledge of agile development methodologies helpful
- Create tutorials to help end-users learn the application
- Excellent people and communication skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Experience in medical technology and/or software end user documentation
- Understanding of national and international legal and regulatory standards
- Experience with translation projects and/or experience in an international organization
- Experience with managing vendor relationships (such as translation firms, printing services, photographers, illustrators, copy editors, etc.)
- Familiarity with on-line documentation or HELP systems
- SGML, HTML, or XML authoring experience
This position may be grant funded. If funded by grant, continuation is based upon available funds.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable PHC GROUP. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law. Clearance: Selected Applicants will undergo a security / background investigation and may need to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information; US Citizenship is required.
Travel: Ability to travel up to 10%
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please send an e-mail including resume and cover letter, indicating salary requirements, to:
email@example.com indicating “Senior Technical Writer” and your name in the subject line.
PHC GROUP, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates to apply.